While technically located in Morgan Park, just to the south of Beverly itself, this library still merits a mention. Beverly residents don’t give a lot of thought to where the community boundaries actually are, so the library just as easily fits into this neighborhood as it does any other.
In 1889, a wealthy business man named George Clarke Walker decided to build a library. The architect Charles S. Frost was entrusted with the job (Chicago Landmarks). When the building was finished, the library, materials, and land were donated to the Village of Morgan Park. In 1914, the City of Chicago annexed the village, and the library came under the control of the Chicago Public Library system as the third branch (Chi. Pub. Lib.).
It is built in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, a revival style of architecture utilizing elements of French, Spanish, and Italian Romanesque styles. While the inside was completely renovated in 1995, the outside walls remain original and are the oldest structures owned by the Chicago library system.